Monday, July 26, 2010

Metrocon 2010


I don't know why, for some reason the right side of the video gets cut off. You can just click on it though, to watch it play in youtube....

I recently attended Metrocon for the first time, Florida's largest anime convention. Held in Tampa Bay's convention center, it was a mecca for all things cartoon, video game, anime, Japanese, and just nerd in general. I must say I left the event feeling perfectly charmed, like I'd finally stumbled home. The thing about it that I found most touching was looking into the faces of the people there that were there cosplaying. For those unaware, cosplay is defined by Urban Dictionary as "Literally "Costume Play." Dressing up and pretending to be a fictional character (usually a sci-fi, comic book, or anime character)." Looking in to the [real] eyes of these awesome, super flamboyantly costumed people, I realized, underneath their costumes, they are just like you or I. Most of these people lead quiet, unassuming lives. It was as if, for one weekend, all the shy, quiet nerds of the earth could come together and be loud crazy freaks. It was great to see so many people with such an interesting culture come together and celebrate. This is a sentiment I can truly appreciate; When you are that fucking weird, it's great to know that there are other people like you out there, that you are not alone....





No comments:

Post a Comment